Admaston Origins
Originally from France, the Blum brothers studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts during the first years of the 20th Century, a period of great architectural ferment. Always open to new trends, they formed their own company in New York in 1908, which quickly emerged as one of the city's great nonconformist architectural firms.

The 45 distinctive multiple dwellings known to have been built to the design of George & Edward Blum between 1910 and 1917 are among the city's most interesting and unusual in the history of the New York apartment house. These little-known architects created an unusual and notable group of residences that include the Beaux-Art – style beauty, The Admaston.

Over the next 20 years, the Blums made a name for themselves as highly talented architects renown for the quintessential form of 20th Century urban housing in the city — the apartment building. They were among the few such architects of the period to show an appreciation for expressive exterior design. Despite the rectilinear manner of most NYC apartment structures of the time, the Blums' edifices stood out drastically, as their facades were articulate with such materials as brick, terra cotta and art tile, adorned with distinct decorative detail.

The Admaston and its sister building, The Evanston, catty cornered to it at 610 West End Avenue, are superbly representative of the Blums' striking design style. Each apartment had a dumbwaiter, and as late as the beginning of World War II, there were 14 on staff. Today however, only the more attractive of the pre-war characteristics remain, such as the grandeur of high ceilings, the beauty of architectural ornamentation, the solidity of building materials, and the effectiveness of interior design, with each room having its own windows and hence each apartment benefiting from cross ventilation.
 
     
   
   
    Copyright © 2009-12 The Admaston. All Rights Reserved.